You can do your part to help RAWA by raising crucial funds for this remarkable organization by organizing a house party. Your efforts will help sustain RAWA’s life-saving projects.
What: Movie screening of View From a Grain of Sand
Where: your house or a friend’s house
When: Any time
6 easy steps to planning your inspiring and informative party:
- Download the complete house party kit [MS Word] [PDF]
- Order a DVD of View From a Grain of Sand from the film’s website.
- Pick a date and location to host your party. (TIP: Make it a potluck! Have everyone bring a dish to share and save yourself some effort).
- Drop us an email to help us keep track of all the events
- Invite your friends, neighbors, and local activist groups. (TIP: Send out free invitations online using Evite.com)
- Using the house party kit, print up flyers and collect pledges and donations from your guests after viewing the film. Checks can be made out to “SEE/Afghan Women’s Mission.” Mail in pledges and donations to SEE/AWM, 22231 Mulholland Hwy, Ste 209, Calabasas, CA 91302
Find out more about the film View From a Grain of Sand here.
With the ever-worsening state of the economy, we understand that many of you don’t have the means to donate much financially. But if you’d like to help Afghan women, there are many ways to put your time and efforts to work:
- The most direct way you can help Afghan women in your own community is to organize a local fund raiser in your community. An easy way to do this is to host a house party.
- Help us receive in-kind donations from local vendors to raise awareness of RAWA. AWM needs: T-shirts, posters, coffee mugs (we can provide the logo), as well as brochures, etc. We can provide tax-exemption to vendors for their donations. Contact us if you find a vendor willing to donate these items.
- Host AWM or RAWA spokespeople at your local university or college campus, church, or community center. Travel and lodging costs will have to be borne by you or your organization. Contact us if you want to arrange a speaker.
- Increase media awareness of Afghan women. Contact your local newspapers, radio stations, TV stations, and ask them to cover the situation of Afghan women. Media can arrange interviews by calling us at 626-676-7884.
- If you live in the Los Angeles area where our headquarters are based, and are willing to help us set up information tables at various local events, contact us to volunteer.
If you have any other ideas that are not listed here, but that you think could benefit this organization, please do not hesitate to contact us.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are interested in traveling to Afghanistan or Pakistan and volunteering on the ground, we CANNOT help you. The Afghan women we work with do not need skills and equipment, as much as they need funds to do the work themselves.If you feel nonetheless, that your physical help in Afghanistan or Pakistan will make a big difference, please email us.
To make a donation to Afghan Women’s Mission, click here. OR, consider some other options:
- Transfer stock – You receive a tax deduction and offset capital gains taxes when you give stocks that have appreciated in value. Consider donating stocks that do not meet your criteria for social responsibility and we will convert them into positive action.
- Bequest – When preparing or revising your will, you can make a lasting gift to IHC/Afghan Women’s Mission by designating it as a recipient of part of your estate.
- Trusts – Certain trust actions may reduce your taxes now or in the future, while supporting IHC/Afghan Women’s Mission. We can work with you and/or your financial advisor to set up such an arrangement.
- Real estate and other property – You may donate any properties, residences, or even a vacation home, while retaining the right to use it during your lifetime. Gifts of real estate to IHC/Afghan Women’s Mission can help you avoid eventual capital-gains or estate taxes as well as conserve the property while ensuring it’s use for your future generations.
- Life insurance, IRAs or pension plans – You may list IHC/Afghan Women’s Mission as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, IRA, or pension plan. This affords tax advantages and allows you to give a larger gift than you might otherwise be able to.
- Memorial – You may honor a friend or a loved one with a memorial gift that can act on his or her beliefs. IHC/Afghan Women’s Mission will use it to empower Afghan women through medical care, educational and other programs. To do so, use our online donation form and add a note to let us know in whose name you are making the donation.
- Employer Matching Funds – If your employer has a policy of matching charitable contributions your donation to IHC/Afghan Women’s Mission will automatically increase.
- Donate In-Kind – While we do not accept unsolicited in-kind donations such as used clothes and books, you can buy a new item off RAWA’s Amazon.com “wish list.” It will be sent directly to us and delivered to RAWA. RAWA uses educational materials like DVDs, and electronic parts for their web operations that are often only available outside Afghanistan. Click here to see RAWA’s Wish List.
For more information on any of these programs, contact us and we will be happy to work with you.